Chrysler 300 Forum - Forums and Owners Club!

Go Back   Chrysler 300 Forum - Forums and Owners Club! > Chrysler 300 Forum - Help Zone - Problems, Complaints, and Solutions > Chrysler 300 Electrical Problems and Questions

Notices

Chrysler 300 Electrical Problems and Questions Discuss any Chrysler 300 interior/exterior electrical problems/questions in this forum. Lighting, stereo, power windows, etc.

Latest Vendor News!
AutoAnything

Old 03-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Chrysler 300 Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 300
Trim Level: Limited
Color: Silver Steel
Rep:10
Pegster is on a distinguished road
Question Lights will not turn off

My front side marker lights, tail lights, license plate light, and interior cluster lights all stay on after I take the key out of the ignition. As soon as I open the door the chimes come on and the 'lights on' is displayed. I switched the headlite sw back and forth (on and off) and nothing happens - lights are still on! Also in the center of the headlights, an orange light is on. Now my battery died! Help!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Chrysler 300 Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 300 or so I was told
Trim Level: 300C
Color: Dark Lava Red
Rep:1121
NubNub has much to be proud ofNubNub has much to be proud ofNubNub has much to be proud ofNubNub has much to be proud ofNubNub has much to be proud ofNubNub has much to be proud ofNubNub has much to be proud ofNubNub has much to be proud ofNubNub has much to be proud of

Did you add anything to the car ... such as an aftermarket alarm?
Old 03-12-2011, 07:22 PM

NubNub has much to be proud ofNubNub has much to be proud ofNubNub has much to be proud ofNubNub has much to be proud ofNubNub has much to be proud ofNubNub has much to be proud ofNubNub has much to be proud ofNubNub has much to be proud ofNubNub has much to be proud of

Also found this about the subject .... hope it helps.

the first thing that comes to mind is the headlight relay in the front fuse box, it is possible that the relay is "stuck" in the on position, thereby preventing the lights from turning off.
you can replace that and see if the problem persists... if it does than it is possible the headlight switch is bad

the headlight switch is pretty easy to pull out, be careful not to damage the dash doing it, but using a thin flat screw driver get behind the seams and pop it out.
I would start by pulling it out, and unplugging the connector, then power cycle the car (turn it on (don't start motor) wait about 10 seconds then turn it off)

this will cause the FCM (the front control module that controls the headlights) to get frustrated because it can't find the headlights, it will force it to "reset" itself to prevent electrical damage to the car.

your lights should NOT turn on at all, if they do then you have an electrical short somewhere else, possibly in the FCM itself.. if they don't then it is most likely the switch..

then plug the switch back in and turn the car on.. see if the symptoms continue..
if they don't, then problem resolved, by forcing the FCM to re-search for the headlight switch..
if they do, I suggest that you get a new switch, they are about $50 - $80 from the dealer.

chances are you won't find any codes doing the key dance.. this is a high/low voltage code and only the star scan will pick it up. DTC codes in the cluster are specifically for Motor/Mechanical issues, it won't show any electrical issues like this.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:22 PM

A remote car starter a few months back - installed by the dealer.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:34 PM

Might want to disconnect the remote starter. As that would be the easiest and quickest way to check.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:54 AM

the car is completely dead now. And to top it off, the key fob is now stuck in the ignition! I can't put the car in any gear except park.....it is in my small garage and i would like to have it outside to work on where there is more room.