Chrysler 300 Forum - Forums and Owners Club!

Go Back   Chrysler 300 Forum - Forums and Owners Club! > Chrysler 300 Forum - Help Zone - Problems, Complaints, and Solutions > Chrysler 300 Mechanical Problems and Questions

Notices

Chrysler 300 Mechanical Problems and Questions Discuss any Chrysler 300 mechanical problems/questions in this forum. Engine, trans, supension, body, interior moving parts, interior/exterior trim panels, etc.

Latest Vendor News!
AutoAnything

Old 10-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Chrysler 300 Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 300
Trim Level: 300
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:10
KinG0FNY is on a distinguished road
Default Oil Pressure light turns on when Braking or in traffic.

Hello, i have a 2005 Chrysler 300 base model (2.7 engine) and i am having an issue with the oil pressure light on the dash board. It comes on when stopping, parking, or in heavy stop and go traffic. Its not a steady light but more of an in and out flicker. I replaced a leaking oil switch (switch with plug next to oil filter) and assumed that was the problem. Unfortunetly the light still came back on. The car does not over heat, engine is not making noise, and it has just the right amount of oil for i just did an oil change to see if that was the problem. What else could it be?
Old 10-15-2010, 06:06 PM
Chrysler 300 Forum Senior Member!

Color: Bright Silver
Rep:0
Quiet is an unknown quantity at this point

A short in the wire to the sensor or a loose connection at either end of the sensor circuit is my guess as because it's doing it when the engine mass moves, stretching a connection or bringing a wire into contact with metal.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Chrysler 300 Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle Year: Gen1 - 2006
Trim Level: AWD Touring
Color: Magnesium
Rep:41
beirutbob is on a distinguished road

Had the exact same issue last year with my 3.5. Oil light would come on when stopping at red lights, but not all the time. In my case, I had a small oil leak coming a hairline crack in the oil pump where the oil pressure switch screws in.

Check the front of the block for oil leakage around the oil pressure switch. If you have oil around the switch, pull the plug from the switch and clean the contacts. If the leakage persists, clean around the switch and check for hairline cracks where the switch screws in. If you can't find any cracks, go ahead a replace the oil pressure switch (fairly cheap part, around 10-15 bucks). ** MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT TORQUE THE SWITCH DOWN **

Above is a picture of mine after attempting to put in a new pressure sensor without checking for cracks prior and severely angering the oil pump. Putting in the new switch (finger tight + two full turns, probably one too many) turned a small dribble leak into a high pressure stream of oil shooting from the block and making the $10 part into a $2600 repair.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:31 PM
Chrysler 300 Forum Newcomer

Vehicle Year: Gen1 - 2006
Color: Magnesium
Rep:10
lisa2525 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2006 Chrysler 300 base model and I'm getting the oil pressure light coming on sporadically only when gas pedal isn't being pressed. So parked, at a stop light. Happens more during stop and go traffic. (its random, light doesn't stay on, sometimes it dings and light flashes on off really quickly, others it stays on or a minute, then goes away)

Husband and I changed the oil pressure sensor over the weekend hoping that would do the trick, and no luck. Its still coming on. We are thinking about doing an engine flush or even dropping the oil pan. If anyone had the same problem, changed the sensor and it didn't help. Can you tell me what did?

Thanks in advance!